MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
smaller point cards and stickers 
MES-Zealot!

Post smaller point cards and stickers
Hey Mark,

Sorry, this is the only place I can contact you at work with no access to any outside email system to send private emails in my workplace.

On one of your other sites, http://www.stickersandcharts.com/, you have a ton of great point cards and stickers. I was wondering if it was at all possible to make the point cards smaller so they could be printed out 4 to an A4 page (8.5 x 11)? The reason being is because schools here in Japan seem to be cutting back more and more every year on their budgets and give on page to each student at all of my schools would require me to use 400+ pages of paper. I have already double-sided each point card for maximum use of free space, but I still don't feel a whole page is very eco-friendly.

If you reduced the size to 4 on each page, each student could still receive a full page, but each point card page the student receives, would have 8 point cards. This would stretch out the longevity of each piece of paper. Then, the students could fold the point card into fours, depending on the point card they were currently using.

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Also, with the reduction of the cards, a reduction of the points would also need to be made. But, this reduction of the points reduces the size of each point to almost the perfect size for you to print out a sheet and affix strips of 15mm X 300mm double-sided taped to the back of each row of points. Then, you could cut them up and hand them as points, instead of the current method of gluing all the points.

I'm sure you have your hands full with many other projects and I'm sure there are more important things for you to worry about.

This is just a suggestion...

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 pm
Site Admin

Sorry, sometimes I just feel like I've replied to things...

I used to make the incentives sheets with 4 pages (PDF) and then teachers could choose to print multiple pages on one page. That would essentially do what you were saying.

But, with stickersandcharts.com I decided just to use the FLASH program and knew you wouldn't have the option of multiple pages on one page. It really isn't that hard to add that otion on a second or third page. So, I'll put it on the list.

Making the stickers smaller would be more of an issue. They are actually one image. I could make them smaller or repeat them in the same manner as PDF sticker charts but I would imagine they'd be so small people wouldn't bother with them. Just cutting them out wouldn't be worth the time and effort :)

For something that small, I'd just use those super spots stickers. They're really cheap.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I am working on a few ideas with those stickers and point cards. I came to the recent discovery that collecting points for the sake of collecting points is a reward all in itself. That is, if the stickers are cool enough, which yours are. I didn't discover this until I was messing around with some of your stickers in class and the kids kept begging "I want Bobby!" I was thinking to myself, "Who's Bobby", then realized the stickers with the guy who makes crazy faces is black and Japan is great with stereotypes. They were talking about the Brazilian or African guy on TV. Anyways, this got me thinking and experimenting with a couple of ideas.

Do you remember when you were young and they offered those Hot Wheels car collection sets in the value meals at McDonald's? Well, besides wanting more cars drive off cliffs (ie- cushions on the couch), I wanted to collect them because they were 'a set'.

Currently, in my down time at work, I'm experimenting with a couple of things to see if I can motivate elementary school children without paying out for prizes. I'm wanting the stickers to be the prizes in and of themselves.

Your stickers and cards are great if you have a small number of students you're teaching, but I teach over 500 elementary school kids. As they are, I can't use your stickers and point cards in the public sector because the sheets are too big -- cost of color copies versus how much I can fit onto one sheet.

I'm tweaking some stuff right now. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:08 am
Site Admin

Oh I totally agree. I use the stickers as prizes. Also the less you give out, the more 'street value' they have. If you find a style they really like, then you have some serious power in the palm of your hand. :lol: The kids that don't really care or want it, all of a sudden want it just to make the other kids jealous.

I use the stickers and charts separately. Much like you described. The stickers are rewards for winning the game or doing an excellent job on something. The sticker charts are used for trivial things or regular things (in my opinion things that shouldn't be rewarded but should be acknowledged) like handing in homework on time, behaving in class, or speaking only English all period. They are smaller things that kids must do on a regular basis, because I'm trying to set a pattern. After a month, two months or more they finish. **Finishing the sticker chart in and off itself is a reward.** They have accomplished something.

At the end, I may give them a sticker, a set of 3-4 stickers, or a certificate.

They often don't even need rewards. Winning or doing it is the reward. What you give them should be a token, not necessarily something of monetary value, imo.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]