MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
MES English homepage 
MES-Zealot!

Post MES English homepage
Mark,

I know you wish there were more hours in the day to accomplish things, so I thought I would suggest something to possibly make your schedule more complicated. :)

Have you ever thought about redoing the homepage of the MES English? I'm not an expert by any means but it seems to be that it's not very user friendly. In my opinion, there is too much text on the homepage.

I am by no means meaning to overstep my bounds; I'm merely suggesting... :)

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:39 pm
Site Admin

I used to have a real simple click these big buttons to be whisked away to the appropriate page, but ... that's only good if you know where this place is.

Search engines can't read content or images. So, by having larger descriptions about the site, resources and the target audience, there's more information for search engines to index.

Anyway, since this is a hobby, the fun part for me is seeing the site grow. So, it's one of the steps I've taken to help others find the site.

I'm sure most people don't bother to read much of the site, but if you do, there's a bit of insight there as to what's available, why and how I use the resources. I really think quite a few places need more explanation, but since I don't have 28 hours days, this whole place is still a work in progress.

My idea was that the top navigation could be used by return visitors who know where they want to go, and the info is for the first time visitor who doesn't really know what there is on the site.

Has anyone read through it?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

You are correct with the nagivation bar at the top. I use it when I'm surfing around on your site. Personally, I like a simplified look. Simplified isn't synonymous with no explanations; it just means that the information is presented in a more simplified manner.

I guess we all have our own ideas and opinions about how homepages should look, and at the end of the day it's the website owner's decision.

I wasn't trying to take away from the value of your site. Like many others have already mentioned, your site is one of the more valuable sites on the net for teachers.

Rock on!

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:40 am
Site Admin

Here's a little fun. Check out what MES-English USED to look like:
Aug 2005
Jan 2006

The first one won't look right because I've removed some of the old images or kept the same file name but have changed the picture.

Since the end of 2006, it's been about the same as today.

It's hard to believe it has only been 2.5 years... It feels like 7! :shock:

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I REMEMBER THOSE PRIOR PAGES!!!! Very nostalgic!!

The reason I even mentioned the homepage was because I too was recently told something about my own website that I had never even thought of before, which brought a overhaul in a couple of the areas. Just trying to pass along the love... ;)

Anyways, I've said my two cents. I wouldn't focus too much on my comment because history shows that you're website(s) kick butt! :)

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]