MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Phonics games for students 
Site Admin

Post Phonics games for students
I spent some time making a flash game/quiz for the Fun Fonix Intro book. I've posted the 'beta' version here
http://www.funfonix.com/games/intromenu.php

Image Image Image Image

If you have a little time, could you just take a look and let me know if you find any errors, the sound is Ok, whether it loads quickly or takes forever, things like that.

They generally work smoothly for me because I use the program and click the buttons as they should be click on design. However, I always find that my students find some sort of coding error. I've learned a bit over the years and I'm a little better, but click around and see if you can break it :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mesmark on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

It loads quite quickly, the sound is ok - yeah, no problem as far as I am concerned !

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm
MES-Addict

I did run into some problems.

[s]Under V - there was no sound of the a stick figure punching.[/s] - fixed

[s]Under S - there was no sound for the clock.[/s] - fixed

[s]Under Z - there was no quiz[/s] - fixed

After clicking on the Stop and Quiz buttons several times, I noticed that the letters that I selected presented another letter's quiz. For example, I click on V and I get the quiz for T or another letter.

I was using Firefox 3.0.7 when I tested your game.

Hope this is helpful.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 pm
Site Admin

I did run into some problems.

After clicking on the Stop and Quiz buttons several times, I noticed that the letters that I selected presented another letter's quiz. For example, I click on V and I get the quiz for T or another letter.

That was very helpful! Thanks.

I added the sounds and the part about no quiz for 'z' is part of the other problem.

I actually have the game pop up before it's fully loaded, so the user can get started but if you choose a letter toward the end of the alphabet, it might not have loaded and you end up with a frozen screen. Maybe I'll put a reset button on there that takes you back to the first frame.

I changed it to load almost 80% before you can choose a letter. A reset button ought to help for problems like that.

Again, I really appreciate you taking a look and reporting back. I'm going to be making a few different copies of that - a 10 question random quiz and an A-Z quiz. But once I start coding all that, it becomes difficult to check specific letters. And I have to correct any errors in three files, not just one.

If anyone finds other mistakes, please let me know.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Hey Mark, I started to check it out yesterday, but the principal clalled me away.

I gave it a look this morning and the only problem I found was with "x" there is a picture of an ax, but [s]when you click on it, it says "bat."[/s] - (fixed) however, you still have to click it as an "x" sound otherwise it is wrong.

Worked fine other than that and it looks great.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 pm
MES-Zealot!

Mar I wanted to show it to another teacher, but I can't the page to load now. I'll try again later, as maybe it's just a temporary problem.

Or maybe you are working on the site now, so I can't access it.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 pm
MES-Zealot!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:23 pm
Site Admin

I gave it a look this morning and the only problem I found was with "x" there is a picture of an ax, but [s]when you click on it, it says "bat."[/s] - (fixed) however, you still have to click it as an "x" sound otherwise it is wrong.

Worked fine other than that and it looks great.

Thanks for taking a look. What I did was create one bubble and got it to function. Then I created 9 bubbles for one letter from the first and made sure they all worked. Then I just copied the letter template for all other letters.

I shuffle pictures in and out, change the sound and where necessary change a 'good' bubble to 'wrong' or vis versa.

Anyway, I might do this in my living room while watching my kids, a movie or something and I miss a step or two at times. It's quite monotonous work at that point.

But thanks and if anyone finds any other mistakes, please let me know.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Now, there's a game loaded. It seems to be working OK.

This is a memory game that has a letter and picture that starts with the letter. Each time a card is flipped students hear the letter sound or the word for the picture.

This matches the Fun Fonix Intro Book.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:28 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I tried the the quiz and then the game with one of my classes last week and they enjoyed it.

We of course had done the concntration/memory with flashcards on the table, but it is always nice to present similar material in different ways.

I'm looking forward to trying the new one with my older kids.

By the way Mark, perfect timing. Snnce it is the beginng of a new year I have decided to spend a lot of time on phonics at the start.

It's nice to because last year I only saw my kids twice a week for an hour each day. If they missed a class they missed so much. Now I see them 5 days a week for 40 mins. So it's phonics at least twice a week or a little bit each day.

I've found at times that it is difficult to mkae phonics exciting.

These things are great! :D

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 am
MES-Zealot!

Collect the stars looks good. It seemed to work fine, but is there supposed to be sound?

I get the little noises when you hit check and get the answer correct, but there is no sound when you click on the letter you want to start the word.

I think it would be good for the letter to make it's phonics sound and then then the word to be stated before the check button is clicked.

It'd be nice if there was a noise when they get in wrong too. My kids love that kind of stuff.

Of course I can say the word and have the studnets click or just let them look at the picture after we have already gone over the material.

However this is the type of game that some of my students enjoy doing on my computer on their own before class and it would be awesome if there was more sound.

Regardless, I like it.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:16 am
Site Admin

Now when you click on the keys of the keyboard, you get the hard consonant or short vowel sounds. I also added a 'flop' for when when the answer is wrong.

I originally thought it wasn't good to have a 'losing' sound, but that's really simple to add and delete, so let me know what you think.

At this point reading the word off might be a lot of work, but let me think about it.

Thanks for all of the testing and suggestions. It really helps to get others' inout on these.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

http://www.funfonix.com/games/book1menu.php

Same games but the collect the stars game is a full on type it out version. The quiz is a little better with a score at the end.

I'm going to make one more game for now and then work on some alphabet (upper case and lower case) games and make the Intro Book quiz into an actual quiz.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:35 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I tested a few of the words for the collect the stars game. But I did check all the phonics sounds and they worked fine for me.

I'll give it a test run with my students later. I'll let you know if we find any problems.

I for one like the sound for when they get the answer wrong. It's a nice effect and it's not all "In your face."

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next