MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Forum Update - Feb 2012 
Site Admin

Post Forum Update - Feb 2012
If you haven't noticed, I have updated the forums! :mrgreen:

This is all pretty new for me as well. There are a bunch of new features and with the roll over from the old forum, there might be some bugs as well. If you have any questions, problems or just want to talk about the new forums, be my guest. Let me know what you think.

(It also seems the new forums have enticed some new spammers to join, or my old security updates aren't keeping these problem users out anymore. I'll be deleting and banning these problem users and trying to increase security over the next few weeks.)

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Forum Update - Feb 2012
OK, it seems like I have stopped the spammers.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Hi Mark, I noticed the update. Looks nice. Just doesn't feel like home. I think you should post a navigation banner to your mes site, that is a little more obvious or a quick links footer or something. Keep up the good work.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, Steve. I've just been trying to pound out some new games for MES Games :smt024

I agree with you. Something just isn't quite right, but it might be that I had the same old layout for 4 years prior to the change ... Actually, I didn't really need to make the forum upgrade but a few things had sort of broken on the back-end (server side with upgrades) and it was long over due. The old system was about 3 years out of date.

The new forums actually allow file uploads and some other features. I've turned them off for now because I don't want to deal with copyright issues. However, if the tumbleweeds clear :P and this place starts to see some posting, there are some cool new features with the upgrade.

Anyway, I'll keep tweaking things around here. Maybe if I change it enough you'll beg me to bring it back to this simple purple design. :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The problems before (prior to the forum software upgrade) were server connection errors. They were happening daily and I was having to repair the database once a day, if not more. I thought the upgrade to the new forum software would help, but the errors are still happening about once a week, now. After getting into the database, I learned that my host started providing a database upgrade.

I tried upgrading to the new platform, but it sent a ton of stuff down :( including the forums. So, I'm going to need some time to really sit down and find out what changes the upgrade really means and why some of my programs won't work on the new platform.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

All looks great Mark. Good job! I have been offline for quite a while - too busy teaching!!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]