MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
students testing out of English requirements 
Site Admin

Post students testing out of English requirements
I have a first year student who graduated from an American university. He enrolled in the nursing college I work at and wants to opt out of my class.

I have no problem with this. To be honest, I don't want him in there.

However, the nursing college requires English for graduation. I thought I could just wave his English requirement but it turns out the school wants me to sign off on credits for the student. He turned in his university thesis to be concidered for the credits.

The school seems cool with me signing off on credits but I'm not sure I am. I feel he should do some work to get 3 English class credits, not hand in the paper he used to get his diploma.

What do you think?

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I feel that graduating University in the States should be enough proof of his proficiency in English. Here in Greece it is. Even finishing high school in a different country is considered to be enough proof of language proficiency.
Do you feel that his English needs improvement? Or do you feel that there is certain terminology that he should have acquired in your class?
Best wishes,
Manuela

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:16 pm
Site Admin

Manuela - I don't think he needs the English class at all. And, I have no problem with waving the requirement.

But, the school wants me to give him credit for the course. basically, sign his papers and say he completed it. 3 English courses to be exact. 90 class hours.

I'm probably going to have him write a short essay on some medical topic to earn the credits...

Unfortunately, the credits are required for graduation. I wish it were as simple as saying he doesn't need it.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]