MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Writing 
MES-Member

Post Writing
One of my student wrote a summary about Helen Keller and she started like this : Helen Keller was born in Alabama in 1880 and when she was a baby she got an illness. After her illness she became deaf and blind.

Her teacher underlined " she got an illness" and wrote "she was taken ill"
What do you think?
Is it better to say "she was taken ill" instead of saying "she got an illness" 8)

Michèle

Tue May 30, 2006 10:42 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Writing
Michèle wrote:
Her teacher underlined " she got an illness" and wrote "she was taken ill"
What do you think?
Is it better to say "she was taken ill" instead of saying "she got an illness" 8)

'She got an illness.' does sound a little awkward, but in conversation it probably wouldn't draw too much attention. However, in writing, we tend to be a little bit more strict.

'She was taken ill.' is fine but it sounds pretty high level. If it's a younger student or intermediate or below I would probably write:
'She became ill.' or 'She became very sick.'

If you google it you get
42 hits for 'She got an illness.'
110,000 hits for 'she became ill.'
27,000 hits for 'she became sick.'
12,000 hits for 'she was taken ill.'

I hope that helps.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
:D

Wed May 31, 2006 4:42 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Did the teacher make a correction or just suggest a more proper use of grammar? I think that is what makes English a difficult language to learn. It is a challenge to teach English Composition when such an emphasis is placed on English Conversation. I love to give my students several choices to say or write anything in English.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm
MES-Member

Michèle :o

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:53 pm
MES-Fanatic!

That is where I do not agree with some teachers about grammar corrections. There are many ways to to write or say a given thought in English. In my opinion, it depends on the level of English you are teaching. I always have to be careful not to discourage young learners of English. I usually present several ways of writing or conversing for the approriate level. I like what a friend does in her classes. She teaches using a basic and an advanced level to give her students a choice. Thanks this is a great subject. Any thoughts?

Cesar

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:33 pm
MES-Member

I just think as you do. Encouraging students ( at any levels) is very important as learning a foreign language implies making a lot of efforts
( I'm not an English native so I know what it means) . I'm nearly fifty and I'm still learning. Learning a language is not as easy as people can imagine. I envy the ones who can speak several languages perfectly!.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]