MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
summer hobbies? 
Site Admin

Post summer hobbies?
I like to carve pumpkins. I've been doing it for about 4 years for Halloween. Here are my pumpkins from last year.

The typical 3 teethed guy was drawn on by my 4 year old son. I cut it out but he did a really good job for his first Jack o' Drawing I took the above photo out by the wood stack and then moved them to the porch.

Anyway, like off season skiers rollerblade, I found out that off season pumpkin carvers carve watermelons. Well, I went to a Father's Day barbeque at my church and thought this would be the perfect time to try out my melon skills. You know, use the powers for good. :D

Here is my first watermelon attempt. I think it turned out pretty good.
Image Image

I have a couple Tiki patterns I want to try out at another planned picnic this summer. I'll probably post those as well once I carve them.

What summer hobbies do you all have?

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:28 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

My summer hobby is anything I can do while sitting under my air-conditioner. Usually drawing, painting, etc. I save the outdoor activities for the other 3 seasons. I'm the only one in my area inline-skating in January. It's a long long summer for a Canadian in Japan. :wink:

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:58 pm
MES-Fanatic!

sigh I only wish I had an air conditioner!! 8)
and yes I agree Ryo, Japan is way too hot for us Canadians!

I usually end up sitting in front of my fan that's by my window and work on projects for school, watch movies or read! anything that doesn't require movement hehehe

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 pm
MES-Fanatic!

People in Austria are starting to make Jack-o-lanterns too, but they all complain that their pumpkins turn mushy and moldy before Halloween arrives. They then turn to me for emergency advice :shock: :oops:
Anyone out there know how to keep pumpkins from turning moldy and collapsing?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:22 pm
Site Admin

Last Saturday my family and I had a little post 4th of July barbeque party. I made my 2nd watermelon of the year. My wife made a nice american flag cake for the event. Here are some pictures from that.

*******************Image*******************
Image Image

The problem is there is 3 days worth of watermoelon we have to stuff down.

Quote:
Anyone out there know how to keep pumpkins from turning moldy and collapsing?

The most important thing is to scrape all of the stringy center out of the pumpkin. If you leave any of the strings, the pumpkin rots faster.

It's also a good idea to bring the pumpkin in during the day and leave them outside at night.

You can also refrigerate them during the day, but that's a little hard core.

They can also spray the inside with alcohol or any disinfectant to stop bacteria growth. They're not going to eat it.

After 2-3 days the pumpkin will dry out and the carving will shrink up. If you soak it in a bucket of water or the bath tub, that will revive it.

I'm now going to leave feeling very enabarrassed that I know all this. :oops:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Mark you are an artist!! YOur pumpkin, watermelon carving is fantastic!
I'm going to show them to my daughter when she gets home from school, she's studying Fine Arts in Bucharest. Congratulations! I also liked the cake. So your wife is artistic too. I wish we lived closer. I think I would love your company.

My summer hobbies? Redecorating and doing repairs around my flat is not exactly a hobby but necessary work I do willingly, and gratefully. It's really nice to have a clean flat.
The thing I am addicted to in summer is reading. If I have a book I like I can spend days on end with just the book in my hands. Until I get to the end I don't want food, company, getting out of the house, anything. I read the first four Harry Potter books in five days! and then I cleaned the house for Easter. I probably still need some growing up to do.
In between books I swim and visit with my friends. Hope you all have a lovely summer!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:47 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Once you've hollowed it all out, smeared the insides with Vaseline! :shock:

I was wondering who had to eat all that pumpkin meat and watermelon fruit. When I was a kid, I once ate too much watermelon. Well, there is an icon Mark offers but I'll spare y'all the details.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]