MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
summer vacation 
MES-Addict

Post summer vacation
With summer vacation coming I was wondering what everyone likes to do or favorite place to go? I guess it dosen't have to be summer vacation for those who don't get one.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:01 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Living in Okinawa that question is easy to answer. Scuba diving, surfing, snorkeling, BBQing, watching fireworks shows, wearing summer yukatas, enjoying time with friends and so on. I hope that you can enjoy somepart of the culture where you are even though you may not have a true summer vacation.

Cesar

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:10 am
MES-Fanatic!

Okay, I looked it up in Webster first, but Mr. Webster has never heard of it. So, I'll have to use my imagination. Now, if Cesar is a man, he might feel weird in a grass skirt (or he might love it, cool and swishy!) Okay, he or she snorkels. So, maybe yukata is a fancy, no-steam-up diving mask. And/Or, he or she BBQs, so maybe a yukata is a splatter-proof, grease-repelling apron or a chef's hat. Maybe a yukata is a tight-fitting sleek black suit for surfing, maybe they're flip-flops. Maybe it's a wild indigenous flower which Cesar wears in his hair, if he has enough.

I'm going with the grass skirt guess. I think I'll sit around imagining Cesar swishing his/her summer away

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 pm
MES-Fanatic!

hehe Yukata is like a Kimono... but the material is a bit lighter, they are STILL Really hot to wear though! Many people wear them to festivals:)

For my holidays (3weeks :shock: ), I get to go back to Canada this year:) yay for me! Usually I don't get that long, so I end up traveling around to see some of the festivals!! I love fireworks, so it's the best time of year to see them!!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:08 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I won't be going anywhere because my vacation is not so long. It is summer festival time and every weekend there is a fireworks show and festival. I will be checking out the local cuisine and enjoying some Okinawa spirits "Awamori." Yeah!

Cesar

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:37 am
MES-Fanatic!

Well, I must be crazy coz I’ve been spending the past few days out in the sweltering midafternoon heat (97 Fahrenheit or 36 Celcius, they say) balancing on our tippy aluminum ladder, all this salty sweat stinging my eyes, trying to cut our mile-long, skyscraper high hedge with a top-heavy hedge cutters which is probably smaller and duller than my toenail clippers. Course, it’s terribly embarrassing, but maybe my toenails are longer and tougher than the hedge branches! :smt087 With these shark-slashers for nails, who needs chemical shark repellent?

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:17 am
Site Admin

I have a about 4 weeks off from the junior high and nursing college which is a nice little reprieve, but my private school runs straight through the summer vacation. I do get one week totally off in the middle of August.

We usually just hang out around the house. The kids are still pretty small. We have a pool we set up out back and there's a small river in town that we go to. We generally just have a little picnic, throw some rocks, catch dragon flies, take a nap ... If it weren't for my 2 year old that's all gas and no break, it would be really relaxing.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:52 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

yes Okinawa sounds great but I am off to a nice beach with my wife

and then some camping in Hokkaido

.... btw they wear yukatas all over Japan !!!

Last edited by Kiwione on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 pm
MES-Member

.... wasn't like it used to be.

When I was a kid, we went to cool places: the beach, amusement parks, the lake, disney world.

Now, I'm going to Philly to visit my sister (an entire 2 hours away.)

However, I was in Costa Rica for 4 months last year, in October, and again in March. I guess I'll be okay.

I was supposed to go to Puerto Rico, but alas, my friend is afraid of hurricanes.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 pm
MES-Addict

Thanks for the posts I m going to head back home to visit the family I think of all the nice places Id like to be but I do miss the folks back home

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 am
MES-Fanatic!

Summer vacation here in Scandinavia is 10 weeks. This year I was in Maine and Seattle, WA -dancing. Whenever there is a school break, I go dancing. Contra, square, Scandinavian folk, morris-whatever. Might start salsa this winter...
Cynde

"All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that
fill the history books, all the political blunders, all
the failures of the great leaders, have arisen merely
from a lack of skill in dancing." Molière (1622 - 1673)

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]