MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Penpals 
MES-Member

Post Penpals
Hello,

I'm toying with the idea of doing a penpal project with my middle school camp students. My camp is in the beginning of January and will have about fifteen 14 year old students.
I would like to start it as a camp project with a teacher. Share information with them about who they will exchange letters with and their lives and then write the letters as a camp activity. Then, hopefully, the penpal exchange can occur as a continuing activity.

My students are Korean middle school students. Originally, I thought about arranging something with a teacher back in Canada. However, I've decided against this and would now prefer to arrange something with a teacher in Japan. First, Korean and Japanese youth share similar interests and English ability. Second, Korean youth don't know much about Japanese in reality and I assume it's vice versa for Japanese youth.

Any takers?
Please pm me so that we can talk more in detail and arrange it.

Thanks, take care.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:43 am
Site Admin

I have had a few people use the self-intro project at camps. www.mes-english.com/vkeypals/intro.php

If you don't get any takers, that might be a way to go.

I'm doing some video projects right now with some high school students. They are making short 2 minute videos about something Japanese. So far they have done videos on a Japanese toy, how to write one Japanese character, how to make a paper crane, how to make and serve Japanese tea and a kids playground game.

They discuss in groups and decide on a general script. Then reherse a few times with a timer to make sure they complete in enough time (for me it's just a couple more practice rounds for fluency.) Then, they shoot. I let them have fun with it. The most important part is the discussion that goes on before the actual shooting. If you can get in their and have them do it all in English, it's great learning!

I might have those posted in time for your camp. It's another option.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]