MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How long have you been and will you be teaching ESL? 
MES-Member

Post How long have you been and will you be teaching ESL?
I'm just wondering how long folks out there have been teaching ESL and how long they plan on teaching in the future?

Just curious...

Eric

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post been teaching for...
Hi all! I used to teach in Taiwan and I did that for 3 years. I loved it and hope one day to do it all again. My times a'tickin so I've gotta look at doing that fairly soon. I really was a lot of fun.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:13 am
MES-Zealot!

I have been teaching in Japan for over 5 years

and plan to for a while yet

:mrgreen:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:07 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I have been teaching in Okinawa, Japan for three years.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:49 pm
Site Admin

I'm on year 7, and I'm a lifer as the plan goes.

But 10 years ago I never thought I'd be living in Japan.

5 years ago I didn't think I'd be staying in Japan.

So, who knows where the next ten years will take me.... :smt037

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I've been doing this job for 13 years. I think I have to continue for another 20 before I retire...

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:11 am
MES-Member

I have been teaching just over two years now in Korea and will stay here for another few years. Eventually I want to move back home but who knows when that will be. Can't make much money teaching back home and teaching is all that I want to do!

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:52 am
I'm in my ninth year in Japan. Now married to a Japanese so will probably be here forever! :shock:

Wed May 03, 2006 3:49 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I've been teaching in Japan for almost 5 years :shock: I might teach for at least 1 or 2 more years here. I would like to teach in Mexico and eventually someday a volunteer program in Africa as that would be an experience of a life time!

Tue May 23, 2006 1:59 pm
MES-Member

I've been teaching for 3.5 years I think.

I started out in Seoul, South Korea, then took a volunteer teaching position in Peru, then moved on to my present destination... Turkey. Nothing beats Istanbul! I've been here for almost two years and absolutely love it.

My goal is to eventually open my own language homestay program in Canada. I'd say another 5 years abroad...

dee

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:46 pm
MES-Member

:D I've been teaching English for over 17 years and in a couple of years I'd like to set up a school to teach English people ( living in France) French for a change.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:10 pm
MES-Addict

Ive been teaching for only 1 1/2 years, in Korea and here in Australia but I love it. In Australia there is such a large migrant population and many programmes to help them settle in, acclimatise to living here and part of that is obviously getting over the language barrier. It's a different kind of English teaching but very rewarding.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:25 pm
MES-Addict

I've been teaching for about a year and a half in Korea. At first I was at a private language school teaching kindergarten in the morning, elementary, jr. high, and high school students in the afternoon. Initially, I dreaded kindy, but I came to really love it! 3-7 year olds are so much fun -- and funny, too. :-D
I'm teaching Jr. High & High School now, and it's enjoyable interacting with this age group, too. However, it seems I'll leave the profession this year -- moving back West again when my contract ends this fall, more for personal reasons than professional ones. My short time as a teacher has made me more of a student -- trying to read and develop interesting practice activity for my students. I'll undoubtably remember the hard work involved when interacting with teachers back home!

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:12 pm
MES-Member

I am new... just started teaching some adult classes within the past 7 months.

I love it. I"m going to teach abroad in Honduras for about a year and a half and then plan on coming back and getting my teaching cert/Masters to teach elementary ESL/ Bilingual education here in the states.

I'm even considering doing a Teach for America type program.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:48 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I have been teaching for about 20 years, kindergartens, adults in evening school, I had my own club where I wandered around the town to different kindergartens and held clubs there (great for avoiding after supper language clubs for little kids!) And for the last few years I have been a part of the city's native language program. So, I teach English speaking children, who go to Finnish schools, in order to keep up their own language. We have about 30 languages taught by about 50 teachers but our program is often under threat of closing down. All studies show the benefits to foreign children to keep up their native languages but city budgets are always hanging over our heads. :smt104
Many of my children are in fact Finns who have lived abroad for many years and gone to international schools so their families are Finnish but the kids actually have aquired 'native speaker' language levels. It's to their best interest to keep it up as well as their aquired cultures (Halloween, Guy Fawkes, Thanksgiving, things that aren't known in Finland.
What's a Teach for America program?
Cynde

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next