MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Fun Fonix Book 4 - vowel digraphs and diphthongs 
Site Admin

Post Fun Fonix Book 4 - vowel digraphs and diphthongs
I have finally finished and have posted the next book in the Fun Fonix series

Fun Fonix Book 4 - vowel digraphs and diphthongs: ee, ai, ea, oo, oa

It has a slightly more advanced structure, most notably a reading comprehension section with 2 short stories and then 3 reading comprehension questions that follow.

I had promised to have this book together and on the site in 2010, but better late than never.

I hope you can use it.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I was waiting for this fourth part of your Fonix series and it was really worth :) I can't wait to use it with kids. And one more thing, I really appreciate that there's more reading in this part, and it's not that easy to write o good text using chosen words to match the whole idea of teaching particular sounds.
Once again: big thanks.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 am
Site Admin

Thanks! I was actually pretty happy with the short stories. It's not too hard for me to write a few sentences using specific words but trying to have it begin and end in 6-8 sentences is a little difficult. Some are better than others and I was going to try to work on the ones I wasn't completely satisfied with. But there were a few people emailing for the new book so I thought I should just let it be and post it.

I wanted this book to be the bridge that moves students from phonics rule based reading to leveled readers. This may be the last book I do or at least the last book for a while. I would like to do 2 more, but I don't want to make any promises I can't keep. It might be better to do more readings and short stories.

Anyway, let me know how it goes over.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

What are your target ages for the fun fonix series? Obviously the advancement in structure of the book reflects at least some aging among the students.

I used the first fun fonix book with a group of eight 5-year-olds back in 2006. My classes were 50 minutes and we used the book for about 10 minutes each class. It started off longer, but once they got used to the pattern and my English instructions it streamlined itself pretty quickly.

I am going to look more carefully at books 2-4.

Great work.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I didn't necessarily have an age target in mind. However the starter phonics book was designed for my younger elementary school students. And now I use it with k-2 students to start. After that we just progress as we can through the series.

I had some students who begin with me around 3 years of age. I felt some groups were ready to start some phonics but maybe not ready to start writing. So, for them I made the ABC book which has an introduction to the alphabet and phonics without letter writing.

I assume most EFL book 4 users will be at least 3rd grade or, more likely, upper elementary school students. If the students don't have a good vocabulary foundation, a lot of the reading parts will be difficult. Even though the students might be able to read, they won't understand.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:51 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Fun Fonix Workbooks.
I love the work books, they are so easy to use and so much fun for the children.

I use them with my 4 - 6 year old tuition children. All are Chinese Malay and so keen to learn.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm
MES-Addict

Great work..... Thanks a lot!

I love the PDF version - it means I can save it and don't have to be online to print it for my students.

Great idea.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:12 pm
MES-Addict

Post Re: Fun Fonix Book 4 - vowel digraphs and diphthongs
Most of my studetns have now worked through book 4 and are hungry for more..... :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]